Many of us have never heard of this very ancient red, Chinese bush-grown berry, but the Goji berry has been improving lives for thousands of years. These berries, also known as Wolfberries, are grown in some of the harshest, most extreme climates and have been used in Chinese medicine for over 3,000 years. Although these berries have been a staple of life in Asian countries, it only recently has made a name for itself in America. While strolling through your local natural foods market, you’ll now see a few variations of the berry. Goji berries can be purchased as dried berries, similar to raisins, or in a juice form. Many recipes have stemmed from these berries, including a variety of soups, smoothies, and mixes into many cooked cuisines. Surprisingly, these berries do not have much of a sweet taste, but rather one similar to tomatoes. They have a slight tart taste with the hint of an herbal scent. Their benefits range so vast, it’s no wonder why Goji berries have lasted through the ages and still prove to be one of the best “new” finds in America’s markets.
- Helps to extend your life and support healthy aging. Gojis provide a ton of antioxidants that help battle free radicals within the body. Escaping our harsh atmosphere of smog, radiation, cigarette smoke, and other toxins is difficult, but Gojis contain these natural battlers that help balance the body’s cells.
- The Gojis support more healthy sleeping patterns. Much of the goji berry’s history has been pasted through the ages and has been told to help better sleep.
Internal Organ and System Support
- Goji berries help to support the improvement of memory. Asians have used these berries as the leading “Brain Tonic” for years because of their amount of naturally occurring nutrients. Many of these include essential amino acids, various minerals, and a load of vitamins.
- A healthy heart and cardiovascular system can come from eating goji berries on a daily basis. Through many medical tests, the natural nutrients in gojis have proved to stabilize blood pressure and cholesterol in the body’s veins and arteries.
- Kidney and liver health stems from Goji berry consumption. The berries help rid these organs of their toxins and continue to support their proper functions.
Other Awesome Goji Benefits
- A higher energy and awareness level occurs from Gojis. The berries are adaptogens, which are naturally occurring relievers of stress and fatigue. Without the use of caffeine or other stimulants, these berries have been used to uplift moods for thousands of years in China and other countries.
- Bone and joint health are vital as we get older. The natural amino acids, minerals and vitamins help support the body’s inflammatory processes and build healthier bodies.
- The Goji berries help to balance healthy blood sugar levels. During consumption, the berries support this balance without causing spikes in insulin.
It is depressing to see the average American’s lifespan not topping 80 years old. On the contrary, in China and other Asian countries, it is not uncommon for people to reach the ages of 90 and above. There is a Chinese legend that says a man named Li Qing Yuen once lived to the age of 252 by maintaining a daily diet of Goji berries. Although his age is most likely untrue, it does show the importance of these berries and their connection to living a very healthy and pure life in the Asian culture. We can definitely learn to adapt some of these lifestyles and see what benefits can come from them.