Joe and I are trading today. He’s posting over at “How I Will Be Rich” and I’m writing here.
This site is called Be Healthy and Relax and so far there’s been a whole lot about being healthy and not a whole lot about relaxation. Joe and I live in San Diego and we are both huge sports fans. If there’s anyone else out there who’s big on sports, you probably already know what I’m getting at. Watching and being a fan of San Diego has been rather stressful. The Padres blew their shot at the playoffs in the last three games of the season and The Chargers, who were one of the best teams in the NFL last year have been completely, well… stinking.
It’s hard not to be stressed about this type of thing. Sometimes you just take these things for a little more than what they really are, a bunch of guys playing a game. Nonetheless, you want to see your team win and when they don’t you’re less than happy.
On that note, I’d like to give a little list of some ideas to relax. If you take some time out of your day to really relax, you will see benefits in so many areas of your life. It’s better for your heart, it clears your mind, it’s good for your complexion and maybe you’ll stop yelling at loved ones when the Chargers blow a 16 to nothing lead in the second half.
Here’s some ideas:
- Sit or lay in silence – Find an area that’s quiet and comfortable. Close your eyes and take deep breaths. Listen to the sound of your breathing. Imagine all the muscles in your body just turning to Jello. Clear your head and just relax. This is a great way to calm yourself down. Do this for maybe ten to fifteen minutes. Once you’re done, I can almost guarantee that you will feel great.
- Take a warm bath – Draw a warm bath, light some candles, maybe even use some of the scented oils. Lay back, close your eyes and relax. This is a great stress reducer.
- Have a glass of wine or two – Joe has already discussed the fact that wine can be beneficial to your health if taken in small doses. It’s also a great stress reliever at the end of a long day. Maybe even combine the glass of wine with the warm bath. Spoil yourself a little after a stressful day.
- Get a massage – How great does a good massage make you feel. It’s hard to think about the days events while receiving an amazing massage.
- Get pets – It’s been shown that people with pets tend to be less stressed than people without pets. Cats, dogs and fish all seem to work really well. Studies even show that dog owners live longer than people without dogs.
- Exercise – This can work wonders on your mind. Not only is exercise great for getting your mind off of stressful things but, when done often, actually helps prevent feeling stressed in less than pleasing situations. A healthy body makes a happy body and a happy mind.
Those are some ideas to get you started on the path to a more relaxing life. Try not to let those sports teams affect you so much… That’s something I’m still working on.